Happy National Popcorn Day!
If you're a fan of the sweet and salty treats like Ellen K, this recipe is for you.
Ellen K swears by this Jell-O flavored popcorn recipe.
It's the perfect mix of sweet, salty, and fruity.
Here's how to make it at home:
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package fruit flavored Jell-O® mix
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease a 1/4 sheet pan or two 8x12 inch baking dishes. Generously butter a heavy 2 quart saucepan.
- Distribute popcorn evenly in prepared baking pans. Place in oven to keep warm.
- In prepared saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, sugar, gelatin, corn syrup and water. Heat to 250 to 265 degrees F (121 to 129 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a rigid ball.
- Pour mixture evenly over popcorn and stir until coated. Return popcorn to oven and bake 5 minutes; stir, then bake 5 minutes more.
- Turn popcorn out onto a large piece of foil. Let rest until cool enough to handle, then form into balls. Or let cool completely and break into clusters. Store in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place.